The bathroom can be a death trap if not properly cleaned. The smallest room in your house can be the most dangerous place ever that you’ve got little to think. According to the US study by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 235, 000 individuals above 15 years of age find themselves in emergency rooms each year owing to the severe injuries sustained in the bathroom. Among the casualties, about 14% of them get hospitalized.
Surprisingly, more than a third of the injuries occur while showering. Would you want to be the next patient? Definitely no. Well, improper cleaning of the bathroom floor may perhaps warrant you a neck flip, and that’s how serious it may be. However, reading through the steps of how to clean your bathroom floor correctly will guarantee safety from slips and falls due to the slippery, dirty bathroom floor.
It’s not easy to clean a bathroom floor, but with the accumulation of germs and dirt, it becomes an obligation or rather a duty. Whether your bathroom floor is made of tile, vinyl, rubber, linoleum or engineered wood, getting the floor to a sparkling visual satisfaction is a sure-fire with the following bathroom cleaning steps.
Preparation of the Bathroom for Cleaning
Before commencing the task, you should ensure that you clear the floor off other non-fixed materials or things such as the bin and bathroom mat to allow you full access to the place. Wash the rugs and other things that you will take back into the room to avoid re-introducing the germs if any into the bathroom floor.
How to Clean Bathroom Floor
With the floor surface free from obstruction, you are now okay to carry on with the cleaning process. Sweep off the dust (if any) and collect it using a dustpan. In case you are using a vacuum, ensure that the machine is on a setting suitable for cleaning hard floors. The best way to clean bathroom floor is by using a mop, but you can consider a cloth if you are covering a small room.
How to Cleaning bathroom floor using the vinegar
You can use some of the idle home ingredients that can also serve as bathroom cleaning supplies such as the vinegar in the following procedure.
- Mix white distilled vinegar with water in equal parts to form a cleaning solution.
- Slightly dip a rug into the mixture and scrub the floor surface until clean
- Buff it and allow it to dry
The vinegar solution is an active bathroom cleaning agent due to its bipolar nature. The hydrophobic end can attach on oily stains, thus removing the stain.
How to clean a bathroom floor using lemon juice
Lemon juice is a weak acid, thus effective as a tile cleaning solution.
- Fill your spray bottle with lemon juice enough to clean your bathroom tiles.
- Directly spray the lemon juice onto the tiles and wipe it away with dump sponge.
- Also, you can dampen a sponge with some lemon juice directly and use the sponge to wipe the floor. Whichever would be convenient for you between the direct spray and the dampened sponge.
- Rinse the floor with a sponge or a cloth soaked in warm water.
- At times, you can sprinkle some baking soda on the tiles and clean with a lemon juice.
Cleaning the tile using other all-purpose products
There are many all-purpose cleaning agents that can make your bathroom tiles glitter. While the cleaners do have the manufacturer’s instructions for one to follow, you should start by spraying a thin layer on the tile and wipe with a clean cloth.
- Alternatively, you can fill the mop bucket with 5 litres of warm water
- Add three cups of cleaning agent into the water and mix well
- Dip your mop head into the cleaning solution and start moping from the interior end towards the door.
- Dunk and wring the mop several times depending on the size of your bathroom floor
- Pay great attention to corners to ensure they are properly clean.
- Dry mop the floor using a towel to prevent accidental slips.
Cleaning The Tiles Using Heavy-Duty Cleaners
Using heavy-duty cleaners is the best way to clean bathroom floor which is dirtier. It involves the use of bathroom cleaning products to enhance the hygiene of the bathroom tiles. Moreover, they are the best method of deep cleaning a bathroom. The cleaning agents may include: baking soda, dilute bleach solution, ammonia, and steam.
How to clean bathroom floors using baking soda
To make a homemade effective cleaning solution, you will have to follow the following steps to make your baking soda-based cleaner.
- In the spray bottle, mix ½ cup of baking soda
- Add a ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide
- Mix the contents properly
- Spray the new cleaner on the floor surface and let it sit for 10 minutes before wiping the tile surface with a damp mop or rag and leave it to dry.
How to clean a bathroom floor with water and bleach
You can make an effective cleaner by combining water and the bleach in the ratio of 3:1. Since the bleach exudes toxic fumes, ensure your bathroom is well ventilated by opening the windows and doors to prevent fume build-up. Furthermore, bleach can cause severe irritation to your skin. With adequate ventilation, proceed with the following steps;
- Mix water and bleach solution in the ratio of 3:1.
- Ensure you make enough solution for your bathroom floor.
- Fill the bottle with the cleaning solution and spray a thin layer on the bathroom floor.
- Rinse the floor with a cloth dampened in warm water and clean it in two rounds
- Leave the room to dry
How to clean dirty bathroom floor with ammonia
Like bleach, ammonia releases toxic fumes that may cause severe irritation to the eyes, nose, and the skin. Thus, it is imperative to keep your room ventilated before beginning the work. Additionally, wear protective rubber gloves when handling the solution. Follow the procedure below;
- Mix water and ammonia in the ratio of 2:1. For example, if you add 10 ml of ammonia, you will add water which is twice the quantity of ammonia, which is 20ml for 10ml ammonia.
- Fill the spray bottle with the cleaning solution and apply a thin coating on the floor.
- Leave it to sit for 1 hour before wiping it with a damp cloth.
How to clean bathroom floors using a steam cleaner
In this method, you’ll use a machine that uses steam to clean the floor surface as you push it over the floor. Fill it with water before starting the work.
How To Clean Grout Lines On Bathroom Tiles
Grout lines often give an appealing pattern that makes your room look prettier. However, when stained, the grout lines may lease their incredible aesthetics, thus making your bathroom unattractive. To redeem the stunning beauty of your bathroom, you can follow the following three steps.
1. How to clean grout lines using a baking soda
- Mix baking soda and water in equal amount
- Use a sturdy bristled brush to wipe the past on the grout lines
- Work your paste into the grout-lines and wipe with a damp cloth.
2. How to clean grout line in a bathroom using salt and vinegar solution
- Mix 237 ml white distilled vinegar, 273 grams of salt, 2 tablespoons full of dish wash soap and 237 ml hot water.
- Dab a sponge in the mixture and use it to wipe the grout lines and leave it to stay for ten minutes.
- Wipe the grout with a clean sponge dampened with clean water and leave it to dry.
3. How to scrub the grout with a bleach
- Dip the grout brush and use it to scrub along the grout
- Rinse the grout with a sponge or piece of cloth dampened with clean water.
- The room you are working in should be adequately ventilated.
Cleaning bathroom floor is an essential part of home maintenance that any homeowner should pay attention to the hacks involved. With the necessary knowledge and the materials needed, you are set to go.
With the above home bathroom cleaning methods, material, and chemicals, you will be able to remove all the dirt and make your bathroom a place to enjoy a shower. You should clean regularly and in-depth cleaning at least twice a month.